Westchester’s Largest Solar Canopy System Completed

An aerial view of the solar canopy system on the Maryknoll campus in Ossining. Photo submitted by Ecogy Energy

Maryknoll Fathers & Brothers and Ecogy Energy, along with local and state officials, held a ribbon cutting ceremony Sept. 14 to celebrate the completion of the solar canopy system on the Catholic order’s Ossining campus.  

The 2,184 panel system, consisting of 12 canopies spanning two parking lots and 2,000 feet of trenching, offsets part of Maryknoll’s energy consumption with renewable energy while providing clean energy access and electricity bill discounts to local residents. The canopy system is billed as the largest in Westchester County. 

The project provides Maryknoll with covered parking, lighting and a green initiative — while extending 10 % electricity bill discounts to Maryknoll and local residents through community solar.  

The energy generated by this system is available for use via Ecogy’s community solar subscription program. Ecogy’s program enables residents to access clean energy with a subscription process that has no signup costs, no cancellation fees, and a guaranteed 10% discount. 

About 40% of the electricity generated at the site goes to Maryknoll. The remaining 60% is earmarked for approximately 80 residential meters, including 15 master meters at the Interfaith Council for Action in Ossining, serving over 220 people in low- to moderate-income households 

Ecogy and Maryknoll also partnered with Sustainable Westchester, a nonprofit consortium of local governments that facilitates effective collaboration on sustainability initiatives. Sustainable Westchester subscribed 30% of the system capacity with surrounding community households. 

The system installation was handled by New York builder and public benefit corporation, GreenSpark Solar. 

Read more on this project: 

Ossining Solar Project Breaks Ground; what you need to know 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended For You

About the Author: Robert Brum