County Executive Robert P. Astorino has announced the first in the annual series of cultural heritage festivals in County parks with the 20th annual Asian-American Heritage Festival on Saturday, May 20, noon to 6 p.m., at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla. “The cultural heritage festivals are among the most anticipated and popular summertime events in Westchester,” Astorino said.
“Thousands of residents and visitors get the opportunity to ‘travel the world’ without leaving Westchester by attending these colorful and festive celebrations held in our county parks.”
The day’s festivities will include live performances of the music and dance of many countries, including China, Japan, Korea, the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia. There will be arts, cultural exhibits, ethnic foods and health screenings. Activities for kids include instruction on the art of Chinese paper cutting, Origami, balloon sculpture and face painting.
The festival will be held rain or shine. Seating is informal; bring blankets or folding chairs for seating on the lawn. Admission and parking are free.
The festival is presented by the Westchester and Hudson Valley Chapter of the Organization of Chinese Americans and sponsored byWestchester County Parks, Arts Westchester, TD Bank, New York Life Insurance, and other local corporate businesses.
The other heritage festivals in the series are as follows:
• Albanian, June 4, noon to 7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Portuguese-American, June 18, noon to 7 p.m., Ridge Road Park, Hartsdale
• African-American, June 25, noon to 7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Polish, July 9, noon to 6 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Hispanic, July 16, noon to 7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Italian, July 23, noon to 7 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Arab-American, July 23, noon to 7 p.m., Ridge Road Park, Hartsdale
• Irish-American, July 30, 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., Ridge Road Park, Hartsdale
• Heritage of India, August 6, 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
• Ecuadorian, August 13, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Croton Point Park.
• Jewish, August 20, noon to 6 p.m., Kensico Dam Plaza, Valhalla
All festivals are sponsored by Westchester County Parks. Kensico Dam Plaza is located at the north end of the Bronx River Parkway, in Valhalla.
Festival-goers are advised that on June 4 and June 25 the Bronx River Parkway will be closed for Bicycle Sundays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. between Scarsdale Road in Yonkers and the Westchester County Center in White Plains. Kensico Dam Plaza can be accessed via Route 22, from the north or south.
For more information and directions to the parks, call (914) 864-PARK or go to westchestergov.com/parks.