County Executive Robert P. Astorino kicked off the “9/11 Serve + Remember” volunteer efforts at 10:30 a.m., today September 11, at the County Center. Joining him were dozens of volunteers and nonprofit partners, highlighting the many volunteer opportunities available. Westchester County’s formal 9/11 memorial ceremony will take place September 11 beginning at 7 p.m. at “The Rising” at the Kensico Dam. The public is invited to attend both events.
At “9/11 Serve + Remember” volunteer efforts in partnership with Volunteer New York expect more than 100 volunteers to participate in service projects throughout the day, with nonprofit partners joining Astorino for the morning announcement.
Service projects taking place at the County Center on Sept. 11 from 12 noon to 6 p.m. include:
• Blood Drive (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – give blood to the New York Blood Center in partnership with county government
• Diaper Drive – donate unused diapers or wipes of any size or variety to benefit the Diaper Bank
• Food Drive – bring non-perishable food items to benefit the Food Bank for Westchester
• Lamp Drive – help furnish homes for those in need through Furniture Sharehouse
• Mentoring and Tutoring Fair – learn more about the need for mentors and how you can help
• Blanket making for Project Linus – help keep children in hospitals and shelters warm
• Postcard writing for Reverse the Course – support education for girls in Africa
• Literacy Project – help Head Start students retell their stories and master early reading
Additional projects that will run through Sept. 14 can be found at www.volunteernewyork.org/service